February 26, 2014

Dinner results

Olive Oil OR Margarine?? DO NOT GIVE ME A CHOICE TO MAKE!
SOOOOO I was working when my husband got home. He took my son to TKD, so then I was left to sort of pull the rest of dinner together. This freaked me out. I was trying to make the Vigo rice he always makes (which calls for THREE ingredients) and I didn't know if he normally uses Olive Oil or margarine (the package gives you both options) and I texted him. I didn't hear back right away and chose margarine, which was the wrong one. It would have been ok if I had not left the rice on the burner too long after the timer went off and it burned a little on the bottom. In addition to that, the chicken was a little dry because I cooked it on high for too long. Plus I managed to overheat the oil for the sauteed chicken. SEE WHY I HATE COOKING???? I'm no good at it. I lose interest before it's done. And it makes me nervous. However, we all ate it and actually ended up enjoying it. I put mine over rice and salad, my husband and daughter put it in Toritllas (husband added some jalepeno salad crispies and sriracha). Here are the picts. Better luck to me next time!


4 comments:

  1. Still looks pretty good! If everyone got fed, it was a success, in my book.

    Do you have a crock pot that has a timer where it switches to "warm" after it's done cooking? We finally gave up our light blue crock pot with geese on it (circa 1991) that was missing its knob and bought a fancy one (from Costco, of course). It lets me start something before I leave for work that cooks for only 6 hours, then it switches to the warm setting indefinitely. Even if you're around the house some during the day, it keeps you from having to watch the clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they at least got fed, mostly due to me!

      I do have a newer crockpot that does that. I think Doug turned it on low because he thought it was burning and when you do that, it automatically sets it to like 8 hours, so the warming thing never came on. It's a huge crockpot too that Doug and the kids had the kids' pictures put on for me last year, but I really think we need a little bit smaller one. See? I'm blaming the crockpot instead of my bad, negligent cooking skillz.

      Delete
    2. Doug and the Huge Crock Pot sounds like a children's book or an AltNation band! Sounds like the two of them conspired together to overcook your chicken, anyway.

      I was so inspired by your blog, I have the crock pot loaded up and ready to go for tomorrow morning. Don't know if I mentioned that we're on week #7 with no oven, so things are pretty bleak at mealtimes. Looking forward to yummy chicken tomorrow! (Good news is that we should have an oven by this time next week, one that apparently was handcrafted by elves, based on the amount of time it was backordered.)

      Delete
    3. BAHAHAHA! An alt nation band! Doug and the Huge Crockpot! I love it!

      No oven? I did not know that, how are you surviving for SEVEN WEEKS! That's crazy. If I did not have an oven, then I could not heat all of the popcorn chicken up for the kids! I'm so happy I inspired you, are you making the chicken with the Italian dressing?

      Delete